POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: andrel
Date: 15 Dec 2008 16:59:06
Message: <4946D385.5040708@hotmail.com>
On 15-Dec-08 22:47, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Not really. It's because SMS messages are limited to 160 characters.
>> Well, yeah, but each message used to be (and in some places/on some
>> plans, still is) billed by the message.  That's what I was thinking.  So
>> conserving space was/is an important consideration in that venue.
>
> Yes, definitely.
>
> I mean it was never charged per character. It was and is charged per
> message, but their length is ridiculously limited :)

IIRC the length was such that when the telephone switched to switched
packets this was what could fit in one packet. Added as a funny extra in
the protocol, never intended to be really used. D*mned internet, I can't
find that story, so it is probably not true :( One used to be able to
say such things and if they were not true you could at least have
started a meme.