POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I know I could try this myself, but... : Re: I know I could try this myself, but... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I know I could try this myself, but...
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Dec 2008 00:22:35
Message: <4945e99b$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> A generic way to see if a light affects a scene:
> Render a very small image for each light; each image having only one light
> turned on. Take the images that aren't completely black. Those are the
> relevant lights :)

I know which lights affect a scene. The problem is I have hundreds of
lights, and hundreds of frames.

http://darren.s3.amazonaws.com/Castle/SavedOUT/index.html

Take a look at the "floor plan" link near the bottom. That's one floor. The
big room in the middle has (about) 30 light sources and needs probably 200+
images, depending on which way you're facing and where you're standing. That
floorplan image with all the lights for just one of the six floors turning
on rendered in the pixels-per-minute timeframe. Turning off those lights
while rendering (for example) the bedrooms (or the other floors, for that
matter) speeds things up immensely, which is why you see so many curtains
hanging there.

Right now, I run the macro expansion once for each room, then render all the
images for that room. It would certainly be more convenient to run the
expansion once and render the whole building, but that's not going to work
unless lightgroups can very efficiently interact with bounding boxes to
ensure the blocked lights don't take up a lot of time. It took about half as
long to run one expansion as it does to render one frame of the smaller
rooms, so it would have to be very efficient to make it worthwhile.

> I thought about it for re-renders of long animations. Render the whole
> animation at a tiny size, compare the tiny images with the ones I did
> before the last change, take the differing ones, re-render only those at
> full size.

Not a bad idea.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)