POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New NearInfinity demo up : Re: New NearInfinity demo up Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New NearInfinity demo up
From: stbenge
Date: 14 Dec 2008 19:55:47
Message: <4945ab13@news.povray.org>
Clarence1898 wrote:
> stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> I would like some feedback on a few things.
>
> It works on Vista x64 on quad core, very smooth scrolling.
> It fails on XP home x32 dual core amd.  Here is th elog file:
> Can't find appropriate full screen video mode
>
> It will work in 640x480 mode.

Sounds like a simple video card shortcoming to me. I'll keep this in
mind if I make another game. Low-resolution video modes should always
work, so I'll have to keep new games at 640x480 or 320x240. A lot of
people hate these lower resolutions, but for 2D games they seem to work
well. Cave story, for instance, has a large fan base. It used a low
resolution and the scrolling wasn't smooth at all. People still loved it
because the game play more than made up for the lack of graphics quality.

> Interesting game, very good.

Thank you, Isaac. I would like to make enemies that you could kill, but
using this method to do it is looking impossible. The stars and motes
will always be the same if you go back to them, just like the landscape.
It would be hard to do this with enemies, because the method I used
doesn't allow me to change elements. They are all always static, though
in the case of the motes it doesn't seem that way.

Sam