POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I know I could try this myself, but... : I know I could try this myself, but... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  I know I could try this myself, but...
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Dec 2008 18:27:58
Message: <4945967e$1@news.povray.org>
... I figured someone would have an answer more easily.

If I have a bunch of lights inside a box, one light outside of a box, one
object to illuminate outside the box, and one camera outside the box, the
trace goes much faster if I remove the lights inside the box from the scene.
Apparently, POV isn't clever enough to know that the lights inside the solid
opaque box don't affect the scene outside the box.

If I put the lights inside the box inside a light group that includes only
the other objects inside the box, will it be faster when the camera is
outside the box? Or will I still be better off commenting out the lights
inside the box?  I.e., how fast does using lights in a lightgroups speed up
a scene (where you can't see any of the objects in the lightgroup) compared
to not having the lights at all?

I just don't want to go thru the work of rewriting a bunch of macros if I'm
not going to get a significant speed-up.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)