POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OMG! My Internet connection is so slow... : Re: OMG! My Internet connection is so slow... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG! My Internet connection is so slow...
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Dec 2008 18:23:34
Message: <49459576@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> just switching one set of problems for another.

Probably, but speed likely won't be one of them.

>> More likely it's your ISP's link to the rest of the world.
> Is that a common pitfall of all ISPs?

No.

> I'm wondering if there is an independent web page somewhere that
> rates ISPs on their perfomance/bandwidth stuff, MTBF, etc.

Most of the speed test sites (like www.dslreports.com) will provide
summaries and averages from tests from various ISPs.   Or you could talk to
your ISP and escalate the problem.

Run a few speed tests at different times of day to some of the closer
cities, then call them up and ask why you don't get anywhere near the
promised speed to nearby cities, and tell them you'll be switching if they
can't fix it.  They may just escalate it to someone who gives a crap.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)