POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightcuts : Re: Lightcuts Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lightcuts
From: nemesis
Date: 14 Dec 2008 16:49:49
Message: <49457f7d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Unless I understood incorrectly, the "lightcuts" algorithm is not about
> global illumination, but about speeding up illumination from hundreds of
> thousands of point light sources, which is a rather different thing. (Global
> illumination is about light reflecting from surfaces and illuminating other
> surfaces, in turn reflecting from them and illuminating yet other surfaces,
> and so on. "Lightcuts" looked like an algorithm for direct illumination only.)

Yes, I was in doubt too.  But in the webpage for the paper they say:
"It handles arbitrary geometry, non-diffuse materials, and illumination
from a wide variety of sources including point lights, area lights,...
and indirect illumination."  They couldn't just be plain lying.

So, I did a test using the Blender implementation:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1255/lightcutstestzg0.jpg

Only lightsource is an area light outside and above the window.  So,
indeed it handles indirect illumination automatically...

It has a lightcuts panels with quite a few parameters, among them,
number of point lights generated from an area light.  The default is
immense, so I fearfully put it down to a modest 128 as well as a
indirect light factor about the same.  I think such "low" settings can
be accounted for the splotches and "cuts" seen.

OTOH, it took 44 minutes on a P4 2.66.  Not as fast as I had hoped for... :P

Next, I'll try to export to pov and play around with radiosity.  I
didn't like the radiosity in Blender, even with quite lots of
subdivision, it still looks quite ugly and not on par with the lightcuts
picture...