POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solid meshes in CSG : Re: Solid meshes in CSG Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solid meshes in CSG
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2008 18:55:28
Message: <49444b70$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD nous illumina en ce 2008-12-11 00:16 -->
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> If the mesh is open I'd expect whacky results from CSG operations. For example,
>> if you intersect an open mesh and a solid object, the resulting object will
>> *not* behave like a "cut-out" piece of the mesh; instead, I'd expect certain
>> parts of the other object's surface to be visible as well, namely all those
>> areas where a ray, when shot along the inside vector, would enter through a
>> "hole" into the inside of the mesh. (This is just a guess, but be prepared to
>> get something like this or similar.)
>
> My mesh is completely flat. If anything lying above the mesh upward until
> infinity is considered "inside", that's OK.
>
> Also, where do I put the "inside_vector" statement? Inside the triangle, or
> inside the mesh?
>
> -Mike

A completely flat, 2D mesh will probably don't work in a CSG intersection or
difference.

In you difference that mesh from a solid, you will remove zero volume, an
infinitely thin sheet from whatever other objet you may have.
If you difference a solid from your mesh, it will cut a hole in it.

In the case of an intersection, there will be no volume left, and you'll get an
empty object, or maybe, just a piece of plane.

You can always use that mesh in an union or merge without any problem.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you read each of these quotes.