POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : out of date tutorials : Re: out of date tutorials Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: out of date tutorials
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2008 16:21:32
Message: <4944275c$1@news.povray.org>
Lace nous illumina en ce 2008-12-12 01:02 -->
> Thank you very much for the responses; first of all the POV-RAY FAQ's are last
> dated 2004 and even though the version hasn't changed much, I'm sure that new
> users who wish to learn would find this challenging.
There have been NO major release since that date, only one minor revision.

There is a tutorial bundeled with the installation. Did you use it?
> In the 1996 tutorial that I am learning from (above link of course) there are a
> few minor problems that don't go with the version 3.6 I'm only on the first
> page of the tutorial due to the busy schedule at home :) But I will include
> them:
>
> ***A rotation is a transformation that changes the orientation of an object (the
> way that it's facing). Rotations are the most complex of the transformations.
> They are specified to POV-Ray by the string rotation <x,y,z>, where x, y, and z
> are the number of degrees (not radians) around the respective axis. Consider the
> original cube up above. A rotation of <0,0,45> rotates the cube 45 degrees
> around the z axis***
>
> (me here, I couldn't get my square to turn on it's axis, I got it to move but
> not spin like the picture)
Was your "square" defined at the origin? If not, it was correctly rotated around
the z axis, making it orbit around the z axis.
The included documentation make it clear that ALL transformations are ALWAYS
made relative to the origin, or coordinate <0,0,0>.
Also very importent with scale, an object that is not around the origin that get
scaled will apears to also move.

> ***torus {
>   3, 11
>   pigment { color Yellow }
>   scale <1.5,1,1>
>   rotate <-45,0,0>
>   translate <0,2,0>
> }
>
> This code makes a yellow torus, slightly widened around the x axis, rotated -45
> degrees around the x axis and with its center at <0,2,0>***
>
> (me here, my torus wasn't lopsided it was more of a fat perfect doughnut shape
> and I couldn't get it to do anything but sit in the middle ~sigh~)
>
> With the rest of it on that page of the tutorial I have completely mastered with
> a bit of help from a good POV friend and insomnia. I really want to learn, I'm
> not one to give up so easily :)

torus{3,11 // create a torus with a major radius of size 3 and a minor radius of
size 11, flat on the x-z plane around the y axis. The is no hole as the minor
radius is larger than the major.
pigment{yellow}
scale <1.5, 1, 1> //stretch it along the x axis by 50%
rotate <-45, 0, 0>// rotate 45 degree around the x axis.
translate <0, 2, 0> // move it up 2 unit parallel to the y axis
}

Your translation is relatively small, so, it won't show much.
Replace it with: translate<0, 20*clock, 0> and render with +kff9

You also can replace the rotation with:
rotate<180*clock, 0, 0> and the animation will make it visibly rotate.

--
Alain
EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

Ziploc Bags are Male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right
through them.