POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GIMP hotkeys/ scripts/ user-defined functions? : Re: Undirected rambling Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Undirected rambling
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2008 22:19:18
Message: <494329b6$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Doesn't mean it's not complex, just that the complexity is in a library.

Sure. But that's where it belongs. You're supposed to encapsulate complexity
in a library. Once that's done once, using SOAP is completely trivial
(unless your SOAP tracks changes and your library doesn't handle the cookies
for you, but that's just bad design).

> And the pain was from when I tried to access a SOAP service to get weather
> forecasts, from an environment without any SOAP library.

Sure. Without a SOAP library, it's more complex than doing a one-off. With
the library, it's way easier than doing a one-off. Having done both, I'll
take using the library, Bob.

It was pretty annoying to do SOAP calls to the broken library the data
provider was using, that didn't do SOAP right, too. (Of course, they
couldn't even get base64 working, either, and that's like 5 lines in C.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)