POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2008 20:25:16
Message: <49430efc$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Most X example apps use only black and white, which makes me think using
> more than two colors is an extra pain. That is because they the only colors
> X guarantees that exist.

Last I looked, you not only have to know how many colors the screen
supports, but you have to order the bytes and such in the same order as they
are in the hardware. I.e., you query the X server for how many bits and in
what order the colors are, then you have to give all colors in that form to
the server. You have to convert the images yourself, put them in the right
order with the right stride, etc.

Now, note that "last I looked", an 8-bit color card for a machine that could
run UNIX was a thousand dollars or so, some 15 years ago, so take it with a
grain or two.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)