POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2008 19:57:37
Message: <49430881$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I had an idea that I could produce a kind of "portfolio" of good-quality
> written documents (various subject areas and target audiences) and I
> could show it to people and say "hey dude, I'm clever!" The thing I
> posted here is a first attempt at one such portfolio document.

That's an excellent idea.

> (I'm polishing up my Parsec thing to make another such document. And I
> may or may not to a layman's overview of computer hardware - I don't
> know if I could do it justice...)

Give it a go. Worst thing that happens is people say "don't put that one in
your portfolio."

Indeed, you might be in a good position to write documentation rather than
programs. Consider looking for work as a technical writer.

> The trick to this seems to be figuring out which concepts "depend on"
> which other concepts, which ideas "lead to" others, and finding an
> optimal order to present the ideas. And some good metaphores and
> examples usually help immensely... ;-)

Yep. It often takes me three or four start-from-scratch rewrites of an
outline before I fill it in. Often takes longer to do the TOC than the paper.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)