POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
9 Oct 2024 23:57:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Dec 2008 15:27:14
Message: <4942c922$1@news.povray.org>
> I've written a few graphics apps in Java. I eventually wrote a (very
> simple) image-screen class which I could plot to pixel by pixel, then
> dump to the window when I wanted an update. Much easier than piddling
> around with the AWT!
>
> But you're right, I still had to plumb that into some window container
> or whatever it was.

Yeah, this is what I ended up doing too. For Java, and more recently for
GTK. (GTK has strong support for vector graphics, but still no help if
you want to do bitmapped stuff algorithmically.) I've yet to find a good
way to handle displaying stuff on the screen so it responds to damage
messages yet your main program still continues executing...

> Those were indeed the days. Interpreted BASIC, where you could type that
> directly into the command prompt and see the dot appear on the other
> side of the screen.... *sighs*

Even [gasp] POV-Ray isn't *that* easy...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/