POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 12 Dec 2008 13:53:57
Message: <4942b345$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   Some languages, such as Java, come with standard libraries for drawing
>> graphics
>
> But using it is still nowhere near the level of "plot a pixel here please".

I've written a few graphics apps in Java. I eventually wrote a (very
simple) image-screen class which I could plot to pixel by pixel, then
dump to the window when I wanted an update. Much easier than piddling
around with the AWT!

But you're right, I still had to plumb that into some window container
or whatever it was.

>>> (Back when I was a kid, you could just say "plot 4, 7" and it would
>>> draw a dot there. Ah, I had no idea how good I had it!)

Those were indeed the days. Interpreted BASIC, where you could type that
directly into the command prompt and see the dot appear on the other
side of the screen.... *sighs*