POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Haskell : Re: Haskell Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Haskell
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Dec 2008 13:11:52
Message: <4942a968$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. The hard part is figuring out how to take a big heap of knowledge
>> and structure it into something coherant with a logical order to is that
>> somebody else might even be able to follow. ;-)
>
> Tip: don't structure it yet. Start with some content, once you have
> something written you may have a clearer view of how to structure it.
>
> I doubt anyone starts writing a book from the index.

Some people might...

Heh, this tends to be *exactly* how I write programs, BTW. But then,
writing documentation is rather like programming... except that instead
of operating with the internal state of a machine, it's a human. But you
still have the same problems of figuring out the best way to structure
things, etc.

I have lost count of how many times I've written an authoritative tome
on Haskell, only to get about 8% of the way through the material and
think "meh, that's a silly approach, I should start by explaining X
first instead of starting from Y..." I've started and restarted writing
so many times I can't even count!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The trouble with explaining
Haskell is that there's lots of interrelated concepts that you seemingly
need to grasp all at the same time, with no logical "place to start".

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/