POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New NearInfinity demo up : New NearInfinity demo up Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  New NearInfinity demo up
From: stbenge
Date: 12 Dec 2008 11:38:07
Message: <4942936f@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

Months ago I updated my NearInfinity demo, but never got around to
posting it. It can be found here:
http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/NearInfinity.zip

It should look like this:
http://www.caltel.com/~abenge/NIscreen.jpg

There is no goal to the game. You just fly around in a near-infinite
landscape. I would call it infinite, but even the best random number
generators don't go on forever. The landscape is not different every
time you start the program up. You can change the landscape's seed
within an .ini file. To make it a little more interesting, there are six
Easter eggs to find. They occur very rarely, and you get no reward for
finding them; they are simply there. Look at ee.png for spoilers :) Keys
are left, right, up and/or z. It has bouncy and smooth, but solid
collision-detection.

If you are running Windows, have DirextX 8.0 or above, and have some
free time, could you download it and tell me what you think? With the
default settings it should run at 60 FPS regardless on your monitor's
refresh rate. I kept the logic separate from the frame rate, so it
should work on your computer exactly as it does mine, as long as your
computer isn't really old. It will skip frames to compensate if your
computer is slow.

I would like some feedback on a few things. What is your operating
system? Does it work on Vista? What FPS are you getting? Do the default
settings of 1280x960 fullscreen mode give you ultra-smooth scrolling?
What about lower resolutions? You can change these and other settings
within the NI.ini text file. If you decide to run in windowed mode,
change dynamicFrameRate to method 2. You won't get the benefits of
VSYNC, and it really shows.

If for some reason I didn't upload the program with the default 1280x960
resolution and VSYNC settings, change the values found in NI.ini to these:
windowed=0
screenMode=2
dynamicFrameRate=3

Thanks in advance!