POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: scott
Date: 12 Dec 2008 10:45:34
Message: <4942871e$1@news.povray.org>
>  From what I have heard, DirectX 9 is much easier to use than earlier
> versions. Same is probably true for DirectX 10.

DX6 was a nightmare to use, DX7 got a *lot* easier, DX8 and 9 made small
improvements here and there.

The problem with DX10 is that there is no longer any fixed-function
pipeline, so you have to write all the vertex shaders (to handle world and
perspective transforms) and pixel shaders (to do lighting) yourself.  This
might be a bit overwhelming for a beginner.

If you were starting out, I'd recommend DX9 for sure, especially because as
a beginner you are unlikely to need any of the features of DX10 and DX10
won't run on XP.

BTW the documentation for DX9 is really good, plenty of tutorials and
samples building up from just drawing a plain triangle on the screen to lit,
textured more complex meshes.