POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have a laugh! : Re: Have a laugh! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Have a laugh!
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Dec 2008 10:07:44
Message: <49427e40$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Yes I liked it, I learnt a few new things and it prompted me to think
> about things I never really bothered to think about before.  Well done!

Heh. I posted something in a forum that only contains super-experts, and
somebody *learned something* from it! If that isn't an accolade, I'm not
sure what is... ;-)

Sorting and searching is something that just sorta happens, and you
don't really think about it. As I kind of tried to say in the
introduction, most average bods probably just thing "computers are fast;
they can process information quickly" and don't stop to realise that it
even takes any cleverness to make the process happen *fast enough*.

I think some of the facts did get kinda just inserted haphazardly with
no real flow, especially towards the end. Oh well!

>> PS. I think it really needs some diagrams... Some day I hope to find a
>> way to do that!
>
> Yes, could certainly do with some of those.

I'm thinking specifically the stuff about tree traversals. Computer
nerds are very familiar with binary trees, but your average Random Dude
has never heard of 'em.

Also the stuff about arrays and why you have to move stuff around, etc.

It wouldn't need to be anything flashy...

> IIRC for my 4th year project
> write-up at University I just did the diagrams in powerpoint and then
> exported them as something that my latex compiler could understand (wmf
> or something maybe).  If not then I'm sure something like inkscape can
> export into a format that you can include.

Hmm... Inkscape would seem the "obvious" choice, but I hadn't thought of
PowerPoint. I'm only after a few boxes with some lines and a little
text. Indeed, even if PowerPoint won't export it, I could take a
screenshot. IrfanView can save it as PNG or EPS or just about any format
I desire! :-D