POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: Kyle
Date: 12 Dec 2008 10:02:46
Message: <49427d16$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   OTOH one small problem with C++ is that there is no standard way of
> drawing any graphics.

That's been one of my major hang-ups with getting back into C++
programming.  That, and a lack of inspiration, as Darren currently has.

>   There are two popular 2D engine libraries for Windows which I know of:
>
> http://hge.relishgames.com/
> http://developer.popcap.com/forums/pop_index.php
>
>   You could consider this one too, which would make your program much
> more portable:
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/

I'm going to have to look into these myself.

>   You could try making DirectX or OpenGL code directly, but that would be
> even lower-level code, and might become a nightmare.

I've been overwhelmed by DirectX before.  It's not for the
faint-of-heart, or for someone relearning C++, as I was at the time.

Thanks for this post Warp.  It'll be helpful to me too.