POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Dec 2008 08:02:59
Message: <49426103$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Coding a small game is always fun

This is the one thing I have never implemented. I'd like to do it at
least once before I die...

>   OTOH one small problem with C++ is that there is no standard way of
> drawing any graphics.

...and this is the reason why. Almost *no* languages have the capability
to easily draw graphics these days.

(Back when I was a kid, you could just say "plot 4, 7" and it would draw
a dot there. Ah, I had no idea how good I had it!)

> And you should forget
> trying to program with the Windows API directly, unless you have *tons* of
> experience with it, or you want to die prematurely.

This made me actually laugh out loud. For real. Such a glowing
recommendation of the Win32 API! :-D

(OTOH, I understand that the raw X Windows bindings are even harder...
apparently... I guess that's why there's so many toolkits!)