POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Learning C++ : Re: Learning C++ Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning C++
From: stbenge
Date: 11 Dec 2008 20:01:23
Message: <4941b7e3@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> OK, so I downloaded MS's "express" dev env for C# and C++. I figure it's
> time to practice some C++, learn the ways of the STL, and so on.  Mainly
> because it's that or Erlang or Python, and nobody is going to pay me to
> code any Erlang, and Python looks pretty trivial to learn.
>
> Sadly, I'm utterly uninspired about what to write past my first usual
> program, namely "Jotto".  Any suggestions?

For learning C++, this looks like a good tutorial:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I'm working my way through it now, to glean information I might have
missed in my haste to jump straight into more difficult applications.
It's best to have a solid understanding of C++ before using third-party
libraries. Avoiding memory leaks is my #1 concern, so trudging through
the basics seems like a good idea :)

As for inspiration, what kinds of programs inspire you? I like 2D video
games and cellular automation sims. I'm guessing you might like to make
graphics programs as well, since you are here and not somewhere else :)
Once you start becoming more familiar with C++, you might want to
download SDL to make some graphics programs. CA sims are easy to make,
and you might even stumble upon something new.

Good luck!

Sam