POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 24 bit heightfields : Re: 24 bit heightfields Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:31:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 24 bit heightfields
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 11 Dec 2008 17:55:12
Message: <49419a50@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> You want POV-Ray to output an image like this, for another application to
>> use?
>
> No, I want to reuse the images in POV.

I put the image directly into a heightfield, and I think I got the correct
height, but only at 16 bits. I can't see any way (without hacking the code)
to get 24 bits of precision in a heightfield.

The only way to put data in a heightfield without passing a filename is
using bitmap functions (function 200,200 { ... }), and those also support
only 16-bit.