POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GIMP hotkeys/ scripts/ user-defined functions? : Re: Undirected rambling Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Undirected rambling
From: nemesis
Date: 11 Dec 2008 12:39:06
Message: <4941503a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> Invisible wrote:
>> Isn't that precisely what Smalltalk also does? :-P
>
> Oddly enough, Ada can unload and reload new code while it's running too,
> and that's about the most anal-retentive language I've ever used.

Yes, Ada is a traditional descendent of Algol and Pascal.

> You know, I did my PhD work by patching into someone else's structured
> editor/compiler/interpreter written Smalltalk, without really
> understanding all the details. I had this kind of error maybe a handful
> of times, and it was never confusing what happened.

Good to know.  And indeed, lack of static typing is not the tragedy
people like to paint it.

>> As soon as you start trying to do anything more sophisticated than
>> that, scripting languages become inadaquate.
>
> I disagree.

So do I and Amazon, Google, Yahoo and many others.

BTW, while his webpage seems down at Microsoft Research, one of the
fathers of Haskell, Erik Meijer, had a pretty swift view of what it is
about:

"Before joining Microsoft, I was an associate professor at Utrecht
University where I worked on advanced /scripting languages/ such as
Haskell, XMLambda, and Mondrian"

Cool, huh? ;)

Google Cache:
http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache:6bWObCjUcd4J:research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/+Erik+Meijer+on+haskell&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=br

Perhaps he quit Microsoft?

BTW, besides strong and opinions (many that can be seen at
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/ weblog), he's also author of a number of
cool papers, "Static Typing Where Possible, Dynamic Typing When Needed",
  discussed here:

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/834

:)