POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GIMP hotkeys/ scripts/ user-defined functions? : Re: Undirected rambling Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Undirected rambling
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Dec 2008 12:05:46
Message: <4941486a$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Isn't that precisely what Smalltalk also does? :-P

Oddly enough, Ada can unload and reload new code while it's running too, and
that's about the most anal-retentive language I've ever used.

> Of course, much as I like Smalltalk, the lack of static typing makes it
> really hard to use. [...] but *good luck* figuring out where the
 > _problem_ is. The
> call stack only shows you where the problem get _detected_.

You know, I did my PhD work by patching into someone else's structured
editor/compiler/interpreter written Smalltalk, without really understanding
all the details. I had this kind of error maybe a handful of times, and it
was never confusing what happened. If you leave out a level of indirection,
then you wind up with an array of XYZ where you expected a XYZ, so you know
you missed the indirection where you wanted to go from array-of-XYZ to XYZ.
If do one too many, you get the error exactly when you ask for the Nth XYZ
from the array of XYZ that's really a single XYZ.

> As soon as you start trying to do anything more sophisticated than that,
> scripting languages become inadaquate.

I disagree.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)