POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Solid meshes in CSG : Re: Solid meshes in CSG Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Solid meshes in CSG
From: Warp
Date: 11 Dec 2008 10:48:35
Message: <49413653@news.povray.org>
SharkD <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Since we're discussing it further, I'm curious what the rationale is behind
> having an inside *vector* for a closed surface. To me, it seems that a vector
> by itself wouldn't be sufficient to contain all the information necessary to
> define what lies inside and outside of the surface. Could you explain how it
> works?

  When POV-Ray needs to determine whether a point in space is inside the
mesh, it sends a ray from that point in the direction specified by
inside_vector. If the ray hits the mesh an odd amount of times, the point
is inside.

  With closed meshes it doesn't really make too much of a difference
what the inside_vector is. With open meshes it makes a big difference.

--
                                                          - Warp