POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : out of date tutorials : Re: out of date tutorials Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: out of date tutorials
From: Chris B
Date: 11 Dec 2008 09:14:38
Message: <4941204e$1@news.povray.org>
"Lace" <lab### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> As a new user I have come to the conclusion that most of these tutorials
> in POV
> are either non-existent (website not found) or very out of date. The best
> tutorial I have found is at
> http://library.thinkquest.org/3285/tutorial/simple.html and it is dated
> 1996.
> That is pretty bad...
> Just thought I'd bring this up so that someone out there in POV world can
> maybe
> update a new tutorial guide for those who are newbies. Thank you for your
> time
> and patience :)
>
> ~lace~

I'm reading a little between the lines here, but are you maybe talking about
the 3D Tutorials section of the links collection on povray.org? Or do you
mean you're Googling?

The tutorial you've linked to above seems ok. Even though it's old I took a
quick look through it and I couldn't spot anything at that sort of very
basic level that's really changed. Once you understand the general concepts
there are quite a few different directions you can take. Are you looking for
anything specific?

There is a Wiki that's supposed to deal with POV-Ray specific tutorials and
how-tos, but at the moment it's still showing as being down till further
notice. Although it didn't have much on it yet, it did have a page on how to
use basic language contructs, such as loops and the switch statement. It
also had a page on animation covering stuff I've not seen elsewhere.

Regards,
Chris B.