POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cool. Linux to reinvent NTFS. ;-) : Re: Cool. Linux to reinvent NTFS. ;-) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cool. Linux to reinvent NTFS. ;-)
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Dec 2008 12:25:26
Message: <493ffb86$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> The only "condescending" bit was the comment about fragmented files.
>
>   Maybe you should choose your post subjects better. "Cool. Linux to
> reinvent NTFS" sounds like mockery.

Actually, I'd originally written that even worse, changed it, crashed my
mail reader, and then rewrote it this way. So yeah, it was maybe a little
more smarmy than needs to be, but that's why it has a smiley. But you're
right, I didn't look closely at the subject line when answering you.

I probably wouldn't have worded it that way had we not had several big
discussions here recently about the reason Linux doesn't need any of those
features NTFS supports.

Of course, the guy has been working on it for 8 years at least with big gaps
in time, so the fact he's just now starting to catch up isn't a reflection
on him.

> In general, "reinventing" something,
> is usually a negative term, or intended to mock something for doing
> something which other have already done long ago.

So.... stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't 95% of Linux doing something which
others have already done long ago?  I mean, doesn't the very name ending in
"x" indicate it's in some respects reinventing UNIX?  If "reinventing" is a
bad term, then I'm afraid there's far more than Tux3 that's a problem there.
Sure, there are probably technical bits inside that are new and exciting
(like /proc or so?), but rc.local and /etc/fstab have been around since
before sockets were invented.

I don't see "reinventing" as a bad word, tho, particularly if you're
reimplementing proprietary ideas in open software. "Reimplementing NTFS"
doesn't mean quite the same thing, and most of the other subject lines that
were informative that I thought about were too long.

Do I get to complain every time someone points out where features of Windows
were stolen from Apple or VMS or ...? :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)