POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GIMP hotkeys/ scripts/ user-defined functions? : Re: Undirected rambling Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:32:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Undirected rambling
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Dec 2008 12:15:47
Message: <493ff943$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>   filter odd [1, 2, 3, 4]
> It filters out the *even* numbers.

Yes. And the odd numbers stay behind in the filter. If you filter out coffee
grounds, what do you have when you're done? Grounds, or coffee?

The problem with a real filter is it separates, rather than selects. When
you filter coffee, are you filtering the grounds or the drinkable stuff?
Neither: you're separating the two.

I'm kind of surprised "filter" doesn't return both, given it would seem
(semantically) fairly easy not to calculate whichever half doesn't get used.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)