POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reverse psychology in action : Re: Reverse psychology in action Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse psychology in action
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Dec 2008 12:00:30
Message: <493ea42e@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:11:39 +0100, scott wrote:

>> When I'm on the phone while driving, the person (or people, sometimes
>> it's a conference call) are aware that I'm driving - I make sure of
>> that.  If they ask a question and I don't immediately respond, they
>> know why.
>
> Yeh me too, often they will ask if I'm OK to talk, if not I always say
> that I'm in the car.

I think that makes a difference - for example, when I call my mom while
on the way home (not a bad time to call her generally as I'm not in front
of a computer, which means I can't remotely fix hers), she'll ask if I'm
on my way home.  Kinda become a habit now for her to ask, but if she
doesn't, I let her know.  Also partly because there are dead spots on the
route and sometimes the call drops.

>> I think it has to do with how people focus their attention - I find
>> that I can concentrate on driving very well while talking to my wife on
>> the phone, for example, because the way I talk with her on the phone is
>> as if she was in the car with me.
>
> Depends on the road for me, usually it's only on longer trips that I use
> the phone, so it's on the autobahn with no crossing intersections etc to
> worry about, I just stay in the slow lane with the trucks while I'm on
> the phone.

Yeah, that makes a difference.  I find that I tend not to use the phone
while on city streets as well - stop and go traffic is enough to look at,
but on the freeway it's a different story.

>> *Always* on handsfree (with my headset), though.  Both hands firmly on
>> the wheel.  No exceptions.
>
> Yep me too (my car has a bluetooth connection so the phone call comes
> out the normal speakers in the car).

Nice....I have a bluetooth headset, but the car will be 10 years old in
April next year.

Jim