POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music Fingerprinting ..? : Re: Music Fingerprinting ..? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music Fingerprinting ..?
From: scott
Date: 9 Dec 2008 11:06:39
Message: <493e978f@news.povray.org>
> I don't know about that...

It works so that copies of audio CDs still give the correct result, actually
reading up about it, any CD that has exactly the same number of tracks
starting at the same points on the CD with the same total play time will
give the same freedb/CDDB result.

> One time, I had a CD sitting on my desk, and I noticed that round the
> spindle hole there is some *tiny* writing that's barely readable.
>
> I typed the code number into Google. It instantly gave me the entire track
> listing for the CD. (!) Just from the 200-digit code printed on the CD's
> surface.

Well yeh, I think that's more like a barcode, you know the one that most
shops have a database for to convert bar codes to prices at the checkout.  I
imagine at least some websites have CDs listed with their corresponding
serial numbers.

> The best thing is, the CD in question was "Best Trance Anthems EVER volume
> #1,374" or something! :-D

Yeh it's always cool when you're thinking "I bet nobody in the entire world
could possibly have ever even played this CD, let alone typed in all the
track names", and then wham you get the results back!