POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Music Fingerprinting ..? : Re: Music Fingerprinting ..? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music Fingerprinting ..?
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Dec 2008 10:01:10
Message: <493e8836@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> Yesterday I thought I would try the auto-tag feature to see how well it
> worked.
>
> #1. It worked shockingly well, One track was mislabeled, and I'm
> guessing it was more a mislabeling of the CD tracks on the album that
> that song belonged on in the database.
>
> #2. It was very quick.
>
> It uses "fingerprinting" technology to match the song with its entry on
> the database. What I found even more interesting is if I stripped a
> track of its name, tags, and anything other than the audio to identify
> it. It would correctly identify it. Even if that song came from a
> "greatest hits" album (e.g. the same exact song could be found elsewhere
> on a different album)
>
> Obviously there must be some sort of hashing involved ... but how? We're
> talking a file that has been encoded with a lossy algorithm, and while
> the data resembles the original, it is not the original ...

Hmm, interesting. This ought to be highly infeasible. (But then, so
should identifying a CD by it's serial number, and apparently that is a
"solved problem".)

> I listen to a fairly broad
> spectrum of genres, Its nice because it doesn't say put a country song
> immediately after say, Rage against the Machine ...

Hahahaha!

Yeah, people look at me funny when I tell them that I have a custom
WinAmp playlist rather than just playing it on random. But Pendulum
followed by Enya is just weird!