POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small security problem : Re: A small security problem Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small security problem
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Dec 2008 18:46:50
Message: <493db1ea@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I wonder... what do the ACLs on a process do?

Can you debug it? Can you send it a signal? Can a COM object talk to it? Can
you change its priority?

Try starting up the task manager and killing off csrss.exe or the login
process (winlogin.exe?) and see what you get.

> I hunted around for ages in there. I found the controls to change the
> account the service runs under

That's what I was talking about. Sorry I couldn't help.

> Even in NT, the User Manager thingy has a panel hidden away somewhere
> for controlling password expiration times and such, and another next to
> it for controlling... well, I forget exactly. But maybe I'll find
> something useful in there? I'll take a look tomorrow.

Here, it's in CP->Local Security Policy->Local Policies. You probably have
something for group policy management, which I certainly wasn't using back
in NT4 days. :-)

You're thinking of userpassword2.cpl or some such. (userpswd2?) It's not
there, I don't think. That lets you assign users to groups, not rights to
groups.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)