POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small security problem : Re: A small security problem Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small security problem
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Dec 2008 15:02:29
Message: <493d7d55$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Also, just for your amusement: The PCs in question run Windows NT 4.0
> SP6a. >_<

Thoughts:

See if the service will run in a different group, or whether it needs to
have some sort of admin privs. Then give someone privileges to log in as
that group and control the service that way.

See if there's something in Group Policy that lists a specific stop/start
privilege for services. I'm talking under the "user rights assignment" table.

Third, write a "set uid" program and give it rights to impersonate the
administrator to start or stop the service.

Worse comes to worst, write a kludge program that runs all the time in the
administrators group and watches for a "start.txt" or "stop.txt" to be
created in a particular directory, then invokes the appropriate "net start"
and "net stop" commands. Note this solution takes no particular knowledge of
windows APIs and can be regulated just by giving whoever you want the
appropriate permissions on the appropriate directory.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)