POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Dec 2008 14:23:58
Message: <493c22ce$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> - I saw the dictators in his slide but he did not take it and the other
> objections seriously. Apparently he does not want to think about what
> longevity means to a society.

I don't know. Change seems to take one generation to happen. If you live
1000 years, is it a problem that the dictators do too?  I don't know. Seems
like you'd have more chances to overthrow them.

> - He is only talking about life extension. He totally neglects that it
> may be useful to think about changing the time course of (brain)
> development.

I think he's talking about what he thinks is realistic. He thinks we know
how to slow aging. I don't think he thinks we know how to modify your brain
yet.

> - I have the same feeling sometimes as when I watch a talk of a
> creationist. It only makes real sense if you believe in the implicit
> assumptions. In this case that it is bad that people die at a certain age.

Well, I think he was arguing that case, not assuming it. You may be
unconvinced, of course.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)