POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Dec 2008 20:14:02
Message: <493b235a@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   Also, if the mahjong program was created with a GC'd language, the GC
>> might completely nullify the benefit of swapping.
>
> Only if the GC actually runs.

I think Warp might mean that the program might tend to hold onto data longer
than it really needs to, in the event the GC doesn't run. Since a GC sweep
by an otherwise mostly-idle program would only bring stuff into core once,
so it wouldn't nullify the benefits of swapping it out.

However, many GCed languages will take messages like iconification and
priority lowerings and do a GC before going quiescent. In this case, you
might even get better behavior than in a language where you can't compress
used memory because people are holding raw pointers.

Windows already trims your working set and swaps much of your program out if
you're idle and the window gets iconified, as well.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)