POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 22:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: andrel
Date: 7 Dec 2008 14:12:40
Message: <493C2081.9060508@hotmail.com>
On 07-Dec-08 18:15, Darren New wrote:

> http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging.html

Thanks for that. Life was so busy that I still have nor finished all TED
talks. It may take some time or perhaps it is a loosing battle. Is there
a reading/watching escape velocity?
Anyway, a couple remarks:
- I saw the dictators in his slide but he did not take it and the other
objections seriously. Apparently he does not want to think about what
longevity means to a society.
- He is only talking about life extension. He totally neglects that it
may be useful to think about changing the time course of (brain)
development.
- I have the same feeling sometimes as when I watch a talk of a
creationist. It only makes real sense if you believe in the implicit
assumptions. In this case that it is bad that people die at a certain age.