POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 00:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: andrel
Date: 7 Dec 2008 12:07:41
Message: <493C0337.1070603@hotmail.com>
On 07-Dec-08 2:11, Darren New wrote:
> somebody wrote:
>> It would be a miracle if 65, which happens to be the present
>> retirement age,
>
> In the US social security system (which started paying out at age 65
> when it first started), the age 65 was chosen as the age by which about
> half the people owed money would die.

Somewhere in my memory something is suggesting that it started in
Germany, but you may be right.

> It's far from an ideal age for anything except saving tax money.

It is also (or should be, perhaps) about striking a balance between
those who work and those who don't. Here in the Netherlands they are
going to change the retirement age slowly. I think for me it would be
around 66. SO I am halfway in my professional life. 20 done 20 to go.

BTW as you probably have understood from our previous interactions, I
don't pretend to know what the right age for retirement is, nor the
right lifespan for that matter. I simply object to the simplistic view
that because (almost) everyone wants to life forever that would be the
ideal lifespan for everybody. I haven't seen any argument that would
change my mind that a maximum age around 100 would be better for the
society as a whole and the future of mankind. OTOH I don't think I have
convinced anybody of my POV. If I made anybody (re)think about how long
life might change the social interaction I am happy.