POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Dec 2008 17:31:14
Message: <4939abb2@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 22:43:18 +0200, Gail wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>>
>> Cool, very cool.  I have wanted to get one myself, just never had the
>> spare cash - I don't want one that's cut out of steel, I want one made
>> the traditional way, and as you know, those are quite pricey....
>>

> That they are.
>
> Mine's a cheap replica. There's no way I could afford a really good one.
> My criteria were that it was correctly balanced and that it looks pretty
> good.

We've actually got a replica here - I had forgotten about it because my
stepson keeps it in his room.  Thing is, the balance isn't good on it; my
wife's got a WW-II era Japanese NCO saber that her grandfather picked up
during the war.  We tried to identify the owner (there's a character
etched on the tip of the scabbard, but it was submerged in water when Pap
found it and it's badly pitted).  It's a mass-produced weapon as well,
but there's no question as to how sharp the blade is, either (unlike the
replica katana, which isn't terribly sharp - I wouldn't want to get hit
with it, but it's not like a razor).

Jim