POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reverse psychology in action : Re: Reverse psychology in action Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse psychology in action
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Dec 2008 17:28:04
Message: <4939aaf4@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:09:43 -0500, Tom Austin wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> I've heard claims that one difference there is that the passenger
>>> knows what's going on. If all of a sudden three cars are coming at you
>>> from three directions, the passenger is likely to STFU until you're
>>> clear of the situation.
>>
>> When I'm on the phone while driving, the person (or people, sometimes
>> it's a conference call) are aware that I'm driving - I make sure of
>> that.  If they ask a question and I don't immediately respond, they
>> know why.
>>
>> I think it has to do with how people focus their attention - I find
>> that I can concentrate on driving very well while talking to my wife on
>> the phone, for example, because the way I talk with her on the phone is
>> as if she was in the car with me.
>>
>> *Always* on handsfree (with my headset), though.  Both hands firmly on
>> the wheel.  No exceptions.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Just did this today - was talking with someone on the phone and told him
> to waid if I pause for a few seconds - driving and merging and the like.
>
> Tho, only 1 hand on the wheel.
>
> I don't think it is the phone itself, but getting into the conversation
> that causes the problems.

That's my thought as well.  It's all about how you divide your attention
and what you consider is the most important task.  I find I'm aware of
the vehicles around me, but I may not know exactly where I am on the road
(in terms of "am I near exit 279 or exit 281?"), but that happens to me
when I'm not on the phone as well - just comes from driving a very
familiar route a lot.

I think it also does make a difference if it's a drive that you're
familiar with - not just in terms of the roads, but also the traffic
patterns at given points along the route.  I know, for example, that when
I'm driving north on I-15 between 5 and 6 PM, I can count on the traffic
slowing down around Orem center street and the average speed dropping to
about 25, and a similar slowdown most nights approaching American Fork.
Even not knowing exactly how far up the road I am (by exit), the
landmarks give me a good idea about where the traffic slowdown is going
to start.

That and the brake lights on 4 lanes of highway traffic in front of
me. :-)

I am constantly checking all around me - I think many drivers don't pay
enough attention to what's going on in the lanes to the left/right of
them, but I also tend to stick to a single lane rather than weave in and
out of traffic, especially during rush hour.

I think mobile phones can be a dangerous distraction if you drive like a
lunatic - then it becomes one more thing to keep track of.  But if you
drive conservatively and not aggressively (yeah, what am I saying?) then
it becomes less of an issue and can be no more distracting than listening
to the radio or talking to a passenger.

Jim