POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : infested computers - how does it happen? : Re: infested computers - how does it happen? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 23:57:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infested computers - how does it happen?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 5 Dec 2008 13:58:06
Message: <493979be$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Yeah. Part of the problem is that companies get paid *big* bucks
> (relatively speaking) to put thngs like Google's toolbar and Yahoo's
> toolbar and AOL's tool bar and every other piece of crapware out there
> that they can. You can (or at least could) get something like $5 every
> time some customer agrees to install Yahoo's toolbar, which is a *lot*
> of money when you're distributing ad-supported software with a $0.05
> click-thru payment on the ads.

Grr, Yahoo bar pisses me off. It seems everything includes it in its
installation, and if you blindly click "Next" it's usually on a page
somewhere, typically toward the end of the options screens, and already
helpfully selected for you.

I swear FireFox needs a feature that says "Hey, while you were away from
the browser, someone else decided to add a plug-in. Did you really want
to do this?"

> I bought a 4-core x64 2.88GHz machine with 6G of RAM and gigabit
> ethernet. And it came with a 56K modem card, so they could put Earthlink
> and AOL and Juno and ..... links on the desktop. They *have* to be
> getting a kickback on those icons big enough to justify putting in a
> modem card nobody in their right mind is going to need. :-)

Heh. They still make 56k Modems??!

--
~Mike