POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: somebody
Date: 5 Dec 2008 12:41:43
Message: <493967d7$1@news.povray.org>
news:49395440$1@news.povray.org...

> The problem is, people are often *alive* until the age of 80 or
> something, but the period of time where they're able to do useful work
> is still more or less what it was before.
>
> How many 80 year old people do you know who can drive 400 miles per day,
> every day, without killing somebody? They exist, but they're fairly
rare...

> PS. I feel old already! And I'm not 80 yet...

Why do you assume lifespan increase would add extra years at the end?
Increasing lifespan would involve slowing down or even stopping aging (or,
more precisely, inducing regeneration). It's actually much more feasible
(relatively speaking) to extend present day 20-40 age period into 2000 years
than extend 80-90 years into 2000 years, for the simple reason that a frail
body would be orders of magnitude harder to keep alive for a longer period
than a robust one, and the battle is obviously already lost if you wait till
near deathbed.