POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Annoyances : Re: Vista Annoyances Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista Annoyances
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Dec 2008 11:56:16
Message: <49395d30$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Aha I'll have to try that, maybe it's also why when copying big files
> (like 2-6 Gig for me) to a memory stick or from one partition to another
> it goes *really* slow too.

I'd be interested to hear your results.

> I think it depends on the game,

Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows) seems to do it. (All I have is the demo. Steam'ing
it this weekend, I expect. :-)

It also takes a relatively long time to load, and it won't let you alt-tab
out. (It iconifies, then comes back and takes focus again. Very annoying. At
least you can save wherever you want.)  I tend to play on the PC games that
I can play in bits while I wait for other things on the PC to finish. :-)

Maybe it's just T:DS. I've never had the problem with XP or with other
games, so maybe it's just T:DS and not Vista.

Solution: Set the resolution of the game to match your native desktop. :-)

> Oh I never had to mess about with that yet, I just double clicked the
> wireless network icon down the bottom right and it asked me which
> netowrk to connect to, and then for the password.  Has worked flawlessly
> since.

I use static IPs in my house specifically so I can connect out to my laptop
when it's home, if I need something off it.

> Hmm interesting as I was thinking of getting an external USB drive, is
> this formatted with FAT32 or NTFS, does it make a difference?

NTFS. Since Linux and OSX now can write to NTFS, there didn't seem to be any
reason for me to use something else. (Of course, Linux's crufty security
stuff makes it even more annoying that FAT32, but I only use it for
interchange, so...)

FAT32 doesn't do shadow copies, unless you put the actual shadows on a
different drive that's formatted NTFS, so I don't think you need to worry
about that.  Of course, if you plug that FAT32 drive into an XP machine,
you'll still wind up screwing up the shadow copies.

> I have two screens, but one is connected to my Vista machine and the
> other to my XP laptop.  I use a program called Input Director that
> allows the mouse/keyboard to work on both like it was one machine - even
> copy & paste works across monitors which is really cool.

Funky!  I have a friend who could probably use just that.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)