POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vista Annoyances : Re: Vista Annoyances Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista Annoyances
From: scott
Date: 5 Dec 2008 02:54:44
Message: <4938de44@news.povray.org>
> One, Microsoft's ass-brain decision that the standard per-file backup
> software should skip over files whose extension they don't recognise. So
> you tell it to back up everything, and it skips .exe files, .php files,
> etc. It only backs up "documents".  Huh?  Makes it utterly useless and to
> be coded around. So I wrote a script using vshadow.exe and robocopy to
> back up my home directory. Unfortunately, it isn't integrated into the
> "previous versions" the way the usual backup is.  Weirdness.

I experienced something similar in an old version of Windows (can't remember
which one), now I have a directory full of old programming projects (for
some old Borland IDE) with no built .exes to run :-(

> Two, when making copies of big files (by which I mean multiple files of
> tens of gig each), it'll sometimes just ... stop for a couple of minutes.
> It
> superfetch. "net stop superfetch" before starting backups seems to
> completely cure the problem, but it certainly took a while to figure out
> what was causing it.

Aha I'll have to try that, maybe it's also why when copying big files (like
2-6 Gig for me) to a memory stick or from one partition to another it goes
*really* slow too.

> Three, if you have two screens configured, and your video game starts up
> full-screen at a smaller resolution on one of the screens, it seems to
> punt your icons and taskbar around to undesirable places.   I never used
> dual screens under XP, so I don't know if this is usual, but I almost
> never had a screen-size change (via RDP for example) mess up my icons on
> XP.

I think it depends on the game, some games seem to happily use a smaller
resolution and your desktop icons are fine, others will somehow (I guess)
change the desktop resolution as a way of using a smaller resolution
themselves.  I'm sure it's in the MS knowledge base somewhere about the
right and wrong ways to do it.  FWIW my DirectX programs I've written that
run full-screen don't mess up the icons, maybe it's an OpenGL problem?

> Five, as everyone says, tracking down how to set up your internet
> connection manually is rather a PITA. So far it has been a dozen clicks
> thru screens to try to guess whether it's "configure network hardware" or
> "set up a network" or "create a connection" or what. WTF guys?

Oh I never had to mess about with that yet, I just double clicked the
wireless network icon down the bottom right and it asked me which netowrk to
connect to, and then for the password.  Has worked flawlessly since.

> BTW, if you plug an XP external drive into a Vista system (via USB, say),
> it'll be read-only until you run chkdsk /f on it. If you plug from Vista
> back to XP, it'll thrash a while, because XP doesn't understand Vista's
> volume shadows, so it goes through and deletes them.

Hmm interesting as I was thinking of getting an external USB drive, is this
formatted with FAT32 or NTFS, does it make a difference?

> and I get plenty of room for everything. I can see why people like
> dual-screen work. I'm hoping I don't get durango-neck.

I have two screens, but one is connected to my Vista machine and the other
to my XP laptop.  I use a program called Input Director that allows the
mouse/keyboard to work on both like it was one machine - even copy & paste
works across monitors which is really cool.