POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: andrel
Date: 3 Dec 2008 16:55:11
Message: <49370096.2000702@hotmail.com>
On 03-Dec-08 22:44, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Hmm. How the **** do people compute numbers like this?
>> You know approximately how many people lived in a certain age and how
>> old they got. From then on it is a simple mathematical sum.
>
> Yeah. My problem is how you arrive at this crucial first step.
>
>>>  I mean, how can you *possibly* know how many people are alive right
>>> now? Obviously it's an estimate, but how do we tell if it's even
>>> remotely correct? It's not like you can *check* it!
>
>> Oh yes you can. It is called a census. They have even done that in
>> china, which is of course the major contributor. I am sure they also
>> do that in the UK IIRC they also ask you for your religion and
>> recognize it if enough people answer it. Resulting in klingon and jedi
>> and some other strange ones to be official religions now.
>
> How can you be sure it's accurate? Maybe it says that there are 20,000
> people in city X, but actually only 50% of the population replied. (Or
> something.)
>
> Sure, you have birth certificates and death certificates, but again, how
> do we know those cover *everybody*? (Surely it must be pretty
> comprehensive, but totally? Hmm.)

People know they are not counting everyone so they also estimate how
many they missed. I leave that one as an exercise to the reader.

>>> I still like Warp's "grains of rice" example. (If only I could
>>> remember who the hell it was about...)
>>
>> Is that the one where you put one gain of rice in a corner of a
>> chessboard and double it on the next square? until you have 2^63 at
>> the last one?
>
> Yeah, that one.

Then it is nor Warp's but slightly older, assuming that Warp is as old
as he claims and not one of the secret millennium old persons.

GIYF http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem

>>> Try this: Walk up to somebody, and quietly tell them "you're going to
>>> die". Watch the look on their face. Seriously, they act like this is
>>> *news* or something...
>>
>> Most people know they are going to die (or at least assume so, see
>> above). This line is mostly used in films and books meaning something
>> like 'you are going to die very very soon and I don't mean that on a
>> cosmic timescale'.
>
> Ah. So you mean, by telling somebody something you're assumed to be
> implying that it will happen in an unusual way? (E.g., "soon".)

In most cases, yes. In your case it may simple serve as a form of self
mutilation by proxy.