POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tractor 2008 (164k jpg) : Re: tractor 2008 (164k jpg) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tractor 2008 (164k jpg)
From: stbenge
Date: 3 Dec 2008 16:53:13
Message: <4936ffc9@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> currently impossible to use any proximity patterns with meshes. That's
>> right, impossible!
>
> What are proximity patterns?  Is it like AO or radiosity?

I'm not sure if the term "proximity pattern" ever existed before
MegaPOV. I remember seeing it a long time ago as a new feature, but
never got to play with it.

Basically a proximity pattern is like a gradient indicating the distance
from a surface in 3D space. Imagine making an object pattern from some
object and applying a 3D blur to it. What you get is a fuzzy
representation of your object, but in pattern form. As a special bonus,
the inside edges and vacations end up black, the outside edges and
protrusions end up white, and all the flat parts in between end up a
gray color.

I have created two versions which I use for different things. I have
released one of them bundled with the fastSSS macros, but I think I will
release another include with just the proximity macros.

Sam