POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Dec 2008 16:44:44
Message: <4936fdcc$1@news.povray.org>
>> Hmm. How the **** do people compute numbers like this?
> You know approximately how many people lived in a certain age and how
> old they got. From then on it is a simple mathematical sum.

Yeah. My problem is how you arrive at this crucial first step.

>>  I mean, how can you *possibly* know how many people are alive right
>> now? Obviously it's an estimate, but how do we tell if it's even
>> remotely correct? It's not like you can *check* it!

> Oh yes you can. It is called a census. They have even done that in
> china, which is of course the major contributor. I am sure they also do
> that in the UK IIRC they also ask you for your religion and recognize it
> if enough people answer it. Resulting in klingon and jedi and some other
> strange ones to be official religions now.

How can you be sure it's accurate? Maybe it says that there are 20,000
people in city X, but actually only 50% of the population replied. (Or
something.)

Sure, you have birth certificates and death certificates, but again, how
do we know those cover *everybody*? (Surely it must be pretty
comprehensive, but totally? Hmm.)

>> I still like Warp's "grains of rice" example. (If only I could
>> remember who the hell it was about...)
>
> Is that the one where you put one gain of rice in a corner of a
> chessboard and double it on the next square? until you have 2^63 at the
> last one?

Yeah, that one.

Apparently 2^63 grains of rice is more rice than has ever existed in all
of Earth's history, or something absurd like that...

(Damn, I *wish* there was a way of reliably finding out numbers like that!)

>> Try this: Walk up to somebody, and quietly tell them "you're going to
>> die". Watch the look on their face. Seriously, they act like this is
>> *news* or something...
>
> Most people know they are going to die (or at least assume so, see
> above). This line is mostly used in films and books meaning something
> like 'you are going to die very very soon and I don't mean that on a
> cosmic timescale'.

Ah. So you mean, by telling somebody something you're assumed to be
implying that it will happen in an unusual way? (E.g., "soon".)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/