POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Unhappy? : Re: Unhappy? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unhappy?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Dec 2008 15:02:04
Message: <4936e5bc$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> What I sometimes do is point out that there probably have been born less
> than 12 billion people in total. 6 of them are still alive, hence the
> statistical support for the idea that everybody dies is rather weak.
>
> It is a nice examples to show that most people don't understand
> exponential growth.

Hmm. How the **** do people compute numbers like this? I mean, how can
you *possibly* know how many people are alive right now? Obviously it's
an estimate, but how do we tell if it's even remotely correct? It's not
like you can *check* it!

I still like Warp's "grains of rice" example. (If only I could remember
who the hell it was about...)

> And indeed most people look surprised.

Try this: Walk up to somebody, and quietly tell them "you're going to
die". Watch the look on their face. Seriously, they act like this is
*news* or something...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/