POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Dec 2008 13:37:24
Message: <4936d1e4$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> This still doesn't explain who the ISP is supposed to keep track of
> several thousand computers all concurrently using their system.

I wouldn't want to use an ISP that couldn't keep track of which computers
are connected to their network. I wouldn't use a mobile phone company that
couldn't tell where my phone was at any given time, either. They sort of
*have* to to make the service work, yes?

> OK, so they give the *police* that information. They're not going to
> give it to anybody else, are they? :-P

Depends. If the court orders them to give the records to a private company,
then sure. (Like, if someone things you stole something or otherwise
committed a civil crime over the internet, anyone suing you might be able to
get the records.)  Certainly true in the USA.

If someone sues you for contract violations in the UK, don't they have the
ability to make you reveal records related to the lawsuit?

> OK, so they know I came from Google. They still don't know what I
> searched for. :-P

But google can tell them. There may be an interface that they can see that,
too.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)