POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shopping for TVs : Re: Shopping for TVs Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shopping for TVs
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Dec 2008 05:34:05
Message: <4936609d$1@news.povray.org>
>>>  For that price with a five-year guarantee, not bad. I thought you
>>> wanted 3 SCART connections though ;-)
>>
>> I did, but I couldn't find a TV anywhere on the face of the Earth that
>> has that.
>
> Heh well I did say as much.

I know. ;-)

>> You'll notice I purchased it from John Lewis. In other words, if there
>> *is* a problem, I'll actually _get_ some ****ing _SERVICE_. ;-)
>
> Indeed certain stores of a certain group don't have the best in
> after-care service. It may cost a little more now, but it can often make
> the difference.

Indeed. I bought a large LCD computer monitor from John Lewis. After
about 8 months, the backlight quit working. IIRC, it took something like
a week for them to deliver a brand new replacement monitor and take the
old one away. Which isn't bad really, eh?

Also nice is the fact that their staff generally *have* a clue...
although there's not what I'd call "experts", they at least have some
idea what they're talking about.

The only problem is that they don't sell a huge range of stuff. (Or at
least, stuff I'd want to buy.) Having just said that, last week they
sold me a Tilby and some rather fetching gloves...

> Obviously on commission :-P

Clearly. ;-)

On the other hand... don't you just hate it when you go somewhere and
you're all like "yes, I'd like to buy this £2,000 item here please" and
they're all like "meh, I can't be bothered, go away". (!!)

>> And it only cost, like, £2 for the gift wrap. (YOU try wrapping
>> something this big! It's not easy... They did a far better job than I
>> ever could. Even if the wrapping paper *was* lame.)
>
> Actually I'm not bad at wrapping various shapes up having had large
> amounts of practice when young, sometimes it can be fun as in when I
> wrapped up a round tin in two sheets of paper (simple silver foil and a
> translucent gold) to make it look like a giant toffee.

See, now I *suck* at wrapping things. I seem to have scisors that are
too blunt to cut the paper, and a reel of tape that's wider in the
center than at the edges, so the tape always curls when you pull it off.
Plus the scisors won't get the tape either.

One thing I *have* discovered though... paper weights aren't just pretty
to look at. Those buggers are USEFUL too!! ;-)