POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reverse psychology in action : Re: Reverse psychology in action Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse psychology in action
From: scott
Date: 3 Dec 2008 03:07:18
Message: <49363e36$1@news.povray.org>
> I read somewhere that if you put more road safety features in, people feel
> safer and so take more risks, resulting in the same level of safety as
> before. And now I read this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space
>
> Apparently the idea is that because it looks more dangerous, people pay
> more attention.

Jeremy Clarkson once said that he wanted there to be a big spike on your
steering wheel rather than an airbag.

> Call me cynical, but I can't help feeling it's only a matter of time
> before some twat driving a Subaru Impreza comes along and starts trying to
> drive like it's a rally circuit... :-P

Well why not, if he can see there's nobody else about and he's not going to
harm anyone else - isn't that the whole point?

It should be illegal to drive in a dangerous manner, not to fall foul of
some arbitrary rule someone has made up, but then that would mean actual
police needed rather than machines ;-)  For example, I can overtake a police
car at 80mph in pouring rain within a few metres of the car infront of me
and that's apparently fine.  Yet if I drive the same road at 5am when it's
completely empty and I can see for 4 miles, I get fined for going 90mph.
How is that teaching me to drive safely?