POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : tractor 2008 (164k jpg) : Re: tractor 2008 (164k jpg) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tractor 2008 (164k jpg)
From: Dre
Date: 2 Dec 2008 21:12:42
Message: <4935eb1a@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> "Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> "stbenge" <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>> > They are manually rounded off using cylinders, torii and spheres.
>> > There's
>> > an object pattern trick for making edges look rounded using surface
>> > normals, but it doesn't work too well with most objects.
>>
>> Ahhh so it is manual, I thought I was heading down the wrong track doing
>> it
>> manually becuase it is so much work!
>
> It is much work and is not really the "right path".  But is also as much
> ego
> boosting as assembly programming. ;)
>
> These things are called beveled edges in the polygonal world and come out
> as
> fluidly and painlessly as pouring milk in a glass... I wish there was some
> automatic way of doing them in regular CSG, but that is really a very old
> wish...

Hehehe, so looks like its the "only" path then :)  Oh well, better keep at
it, the more I do, the more I find little tricks here and there that make
things easier.  Pity it makes my code such a monster to read, I might have
to start using include files more often...

Actually while we are on the topic, how do people generally build objects.
Do you make your complete object first and then bevel the edges?  or do you
do it piece by piece, making each piece right with edges before moving onto
the next finally finishing up with a completely assembled object?

I soft of start making the whole thing up first, then get sidetracked and
start bevelling and then shortly after I cant follow my code anymore :)
(even with stacks of comments)

Cheers Dre